I recently posted a peanut butter popsicle recipe as a great homemade dog treat to help cool off in the summer. Since you might not want to be feeding your dog just peanut butter for a cold treat, why not try whipping up some homemade ice cream that only a canine would love?
You don’t want to replace anything your dog is currently using to keep cool, like a shady spot in the yard or a few extra water dishes for the hotter days and nights. This summer time treat will simply add to their small arsenal to fight off the heat.
Here are sweet, savory and meaty frozen treat recipes you can easily make at home and that last for about 2 months in the freezer:
Carob Chip – Ingredients:
- 2 6oz containers of plain yogurt (low or non fat)
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1/3 cup of carob chips
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Spoon into an ice cube tray or cupcake liners.
- Freeze until solid (it will take several hours)
Peanut Butter & Carob Swirl – Ingredients:
- 32 oz plain yogurt (low of non fat)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup carob chips
- Divide yogurt evenly into each cup of a 6 muffin cup pan.
- Pour peanut butter into a small bowl.
- Melt carob chips gradually in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave. Stir after every 15-30 seconds.
- Pour the melted carob into the peanut butter. Stir until combined.
- Place a spoonful of the peanut butter mixture on top of each muffin cup.
- Using a toothpick, gently stir or swirl the peanut butter with the yogurt.
- Freeze until solid.